It is essential to have accurate maps in any farming enterprise, particularly if you are planning to do precision farming.
Other times when you will be grateful to have maps are when you are:
- planning aerial crop-spraying
- determining the potential of land
- applying pesticides
- ordering seed and fertiliser
- wishing to insure your crops hiring or renting land
- when planning time periods for grazing
- having overhead installations done e.g. power cables
- estimating crop yields
- determining crop suitability
- searching for breeding stock
Geographical Information Systems (GIS), a system of synthesising information, uses maps and ortho rectified photography as inputs to generate data (ordinary photographs can lead to inaccuracies and GIS is about measurement). Other systems of mapping include the use of satellites and Topo-cadastral mapping.
2. Role players
Your nearest agribusiness (e.g. VKB or OVK) will be involved in mapping and Geographical Information System, helping you to access farm and regional maps. Find contact details in the “Agribusiness” chapter.
- AgriSig™ c/o 018 633 1000
- Cape EAPrac Tel: 044 874 0365 www.cape-eaprac.co.za
- See the “Drones” chapter. One function of drones is mapping the layout of lands and property.
- EWheels www.ewheels.co.za
- ESRI South Africa Tel: 011 238 6300 www.esri-southafrica.com
- Farm-IT Tel: 083 653 6244 www.farm-it.co.za
- Geographic Information Management Systems (GIMS) – see ESRI South Africa
- GeoSpace International Tel: 012 348 4586 www.geospace.co.za
- GISCOE (Pty) Ltd Tel: 010 410 0100 www.giscoe.com
- GeoTerraImage Tel: 012 807 9480 www.geoterraimage.com
- Hotsure Tel: 0861 468 873 www.hotsure.co.za
- JEC Environmental Services Tel: 033 940 0450 www.jecenviro.co.za Included in their offerings is GIS Services (layouts, land use maps, Visual Impact Assessments etc)
- Land Resources International (Pty) Ltd Tel: 033 392 8360 www.lri.co.za Derived from leading edge airborne remote sensing technology, LRI’s Outline Imagery™ provides growers with vital crop performance information. Recurrent crop problems can be tracked over time, allowing for cost-effective containment and solution-planning.
- MAPCO Plaaskaarte Tel: 017 712 1075 www.mapcosa.co.za
- Precision Mapping Tel: 033 330 5755 / 082 445 1561 precisionmapping at gmail.com www.precisionmapping.co.za
- PROMEET Michiel Theron – 082 802 2442 promeet at lantic.net
- SiQ Tel: 012 807 9460 www.siq.co.za
- Terragis Tel: 076 371 1151 www.terragis.co.za
- TNH Wildlife Tel: 082 890 9993 / 074 114 8651 tnhfence at mweb.co.za www.tnhwildlife.com Maps created using “the latest GIS technology”
Parastatal and government
ARC-Soil, Climate and Water (ARC-SCW)
Tel: 012 310 2500
iscw [at] arc.agric.za
The Council for Geosciences (CGS)
Tel: 012 841 1911
A modern Drawing Office produces a wide variety of geoscientific maps using both conventional and electronic cartographic technologies. The production procedures are increasingly automated, linked to the ARC/INFO-based GIS, which facilitates rapid map production and updating. The CGS actively participates in a variety of SADC projects aimed at promoting the economic development of the African sub-continent.
Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR)
Tel: 012 841 3697
Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries
Earth observation technologies and geographic information systems, spatial modelling and scenario planning are all listed as “Key Strategic Areas and thrusts” in DAFF’s National Agricultural Research and Development Strategy. Find the document on www.daff.gov.za.
Agricultural Geo-referenced Information System (AGIS) www.agis.agric.zaAGIS aims to be a comprehensive information system covering all aspects of agriculture. Different types of information are available: basic data (e.g. crop, climate and soil information) interpreted information (e.g. grazing capacity, erosion potential of soils) models and application programmes (e.g. crop suitability and adaptability) Find the “Dynamic Maps” menu option on the website.
Department of Rural Development and Land Reform
National Geo-spatial Information (NGI)
Tel: 021 658 4300
sales [at] drdlr.gov.za
The NGI provides extensive mapping coverage of the country. A look at “Products & services” on the NGI website will show what is available. Maps can be purchased over the Internet or by contacting them directly.
Chief Surveyor General
Tel: 012 326 8050
Spatial Planning and Land Use Management
Tel: 012 312 9834
Provincial contact details can be found on the website
Department of Water Affairs
Ground water maps. A list of contacts can be found on the website
Accurate records based on the soil type, rainfall, typography and climate on individual farms are kept by Provincial Departments of Agriculture.
South African National Biodiversity Institute (SANBI)
Tel: 021 799 8738
SANBI has established the B-GIS Unit to provide biodiversity maps to the public via the internet. This project is done with Cape Action for People and the Environment (CAPE)
Western Cape Department of Agriculture
Decision Support Services
Tel: 021 808 5088
Read about the Web Mapping Application, CapeFarmMapper, on the website.
- Next >>