Laboratories play a vital role in the monitoring and effectiveness of the agricultural value chain.
- Resources like soil and water are evaluated. Precision agriculture and its accurate application of fertiliser, for example, depend on the soil tests.
- Inputs like animal feed and fertiliser are analysed. Using tainted inputs like fertiliser can have a detrimental effect on a whole sector.
- Tests and monitoring which happen in laboratories play a vital role in the country’s livestock industry and biosecurity.
- Agricultural products, both in their primary and secondary form, are monitored to ensure quality and food safety.
A look at the company websites will give an indication of the services available.
2. National strategy and government contact
- Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries National Analytical Services Tel: 021 809 1718. More information available under the Food Safety and Quality Assurance pages at www.daff.gov.za.
- National Health Laboratory Services Tel: 011 386 6000 www.nhls.ac.za
- South African National Accreditation System (SANAS) Tel: 012 394 3760 www.sanas.co.za
3. Associations involved
- Agri-Laboratory Association of Southern Africa (AgriLASA) www.agrilasa.co.za Contact details of the various personnel are on the website.
- South African Association of Veterinary Technologists (SAAVT) www.saavt.co.za
- The South African Wine Laboratory Association (SAWLA) is a division of the South African Society for Enology and Viticulture (SASEV). Find information at www.sasev.org.
- Find the International Dairy Federation’s Dairy Laboratories Database at www.idfdairylaboratories.org
4. Companies and other role players
Find a list of AgriLasa members at www.agrilasa.co.za.
Many agricultural companies have their own laboratories e.g. De Heus (Pty) Ltd and Chemtech (Omnia).
Parastatals like the Agricultural Research Council (ARC) and the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) provide laboratory services. Find details in the “Research and development” chapter.
The Provincial Departments of Agriculture provide laboratory services e.g. find the Western Cape Department of Agriculture Analytical Services information under “Services and Programmes” at www.elsenburg.com. At Cedara, contact the Scientific Manager at 033 355 9450 or email les.thurtell [at] kzndard.gov.za. Contact details of the provinces are given in the “Provinces and agriculture” chapter.
- Akasha Irrigation Management http://akashairrigation.co.za
- Aspirata Tel: 012 685 0800 www.aspirata.co.za
- Barnlab Tel: 087 625 0756 www.barnlab.co.za
- Bemlab Tel: 021 853 1490 www.bemlab.co.za
- Biochemical and Scientific Consultants cc Tel: 033 343 1414 http://bsclaboratory.com
- Bioindustrial Services Tel: 011 822 8135 www.bioindustrial.co.za
- Central Analytical Laboratories (CAL) www.calsa.co.za
- Coen Bezuidenhout Seed Test Centre Tel: 012 819 8100 www.beans.co.za
- Next >>