The annual South African Sugar Industry Directory is an invaluable source of information, statistics and for contacts within this sector; find it at www.sasa.org.za. Most of the information from this chapter is derived from it.
- Sugarcane is the second largest South African field crop by gross value, surpassed only by maize.
- The South African sugar industry makes an important contribution to the national economy, given its agricultural and industrial investments, foreign exchange earnings, its high employment, and its linkages with major suppliers, support industries and customers.
- The approximately 22 500 registered sugarcane growers annually produce on average 19 million tons of sugarcane from 14 mill supply areas, extending from Northern Pondoland in the Eastern Cape to the Mpumalanga Lowveld. Approximately 21 110 are small-scale growers, of whom 12 507 delivered cane in the 2014/15 season, producing 9,4 % of the total crop.
- There are approximately 1 383 large-scale growers (inclusive of 323 black emerging farmers) who produce 83,3% of total sugarcane production. Milling companies with their own sugar estates produce 7,9% of the crop.
- The sugar industry creates around 79 000 direct jobs. Indirect employment is estimated at 350 000 jobs.
Sugar and renewable energy
Globally, sugarcane industries have responded to the need for renewable energy, by diversifying from being producers of sugar to sugar and energy.
The biomass called bagasse, produced during the processing of sugarcane, can be used to generate steam and electricity. Sugar mills in South Africa already do this for their own energy needs. They have the capacity to inject significant amounts of surplus power into the national grid, which would make a significant contribution to green and renewable energy when this does become a priority for government.
2. Associations involved
South African Sugar Association (SASA) Tel: 031 508 7000 www.sasa.org.za
South African Cane Growers’ Association (CANEGROWERS) Tel: 031 508 7200 www.sacanegrowers.co.za
CANEGROWERS regional managers:
- Amatikulu 035 337 1135
- Umzimkulu 039 682 5122
- Sezela 039 975 2078
- Midlands South (Eston) 031 781 2000
- Felixton 035 772 3110
- Mpumalanga 013 790 0305
- Mtubatuba / Pongola 035 550 0237
- Noodsberg 033 503 1820
- North Coast 032 947 0176
South African Sugar Technologists Association (SASTA) Tel: 031 508 7543 www.sasta.co.za
South African Sugar Industry Agronomists Association Tel: 031 508 7403 www.sasa.org.za/sasiaa
National Bargaining Council for the Sugar Manufacturing and Refining Industry Tel: 031 508 7331/2
Sugar Manufacturing and Refining Employers Association Tel: 031 508 7300
Also of relevance is Association of SA Sugar Importers (Asasi) and the Beverage Association of South Africa (BEVSA).
- Next >>